Saturday 27 October 2007

The tricky subject of Karaoke




Karaoke! It is a big hand which divides the population exactly in half. Some people get drunk and will never, ever do it, the second half get drunk and have to have the mic prized from their cold, dead hands.

Unfortunately, I am embarrased to even hum a tune in the sober daytime air, but, after 10 beers and rounding a few people up, I always seem to be the karaoke ringleader. Once I'm in the room, I grab a catalogue, throw the remote control away and kneel down by the video box. This is to usurp the remote control users-if a song comes on which I dont know, I'm king of the CANCEL button.

The favourites all emerge right away- "I Touch Myself", "Debaser", anything by Guns N` Roses or Queen and (how this began I dont know) "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues". But, everyone knows that the worst songs are the best in karaoke, and otherwise, there is no point in going.

However, I will not do it anymore!!! It's the point where the night just goes too far. Karaoke is what happens when everyone has had more than too much and should definetley go home. But, instead, they put themselves in a private, comfy room with a big wall-length couch, several microphones, loads of music, friends and can order food, beer and anything they fancy at the push of a button. It is just basically evil. No more karaoke- It's bed for me!

No comments: