Friday 15 February 2008

Involunatry Surrender To The Chick Flick Cliche...

I have just watched a film based on a book I read about a year ago, "The Jane Austen Book Club"by Karen Joy Fowler. At the time, I read it and remember being slightly disappointed by the lack of events. Maybe I just didn't think hard enough about the characters lives in relation to Austen's heroines, I don't know...but I seem to remember having a stack of other books to read at the time, so I let it go.

HOWEVERRRRRrrrr, tonight I got home, (Friday), needed something to watch while eating dinner and keeping my mind off booze, so I clicked on it out of curiosity and ended up watching the whole thing, from start to finish.

At first I was angry that it was set in America and featured Starbucks portable flasks. Also, all of the characters are shoelace-skinny and don blindingly white teeth and shiny, healthy hair. However, I found myself grinning like an idiot when the happy ending kicked in and everyone lived happily ever after.

Everybody knows nothing REALLY ends like that outside the perimeters of a TV screen-in real life, disappointment is the only thing you can ever really be sure of, and, even if people do manage to bag their love interest, the 'interesting' element slowly fades away, as they come home one day and catch their ideal person in their pants with a playstation joypad balanced on a can of beer two centientres from the TV screen. Girl films, eh? I fall for them every time. That reminds me, must watch Bridget Jones when I get back to UK...

No comments: